turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax double taxing my after-tax contribution on Mega Backdoor Roth IRA when combined with pre-tax to roth IRA conversion

Hello,

I'm getting wrong numbers (double taxing my after-tax non-roth contributions) from Turbotax after inputting megabackdoor roth IRA and Roth IRA conversion/rollover of an employer sponsored pretax retirement plan, so I'm posting here for your help. 

I was an employee of the University of California system that sponsors defined contribution plan (DCP), similar to 401K. It has a mandatory monthly pre-tax contribution component and voluntary after-tax non-roth contribution that can be rolled over monthly to Roth IRA (aka Mega Backdoor Roth IRA). I switched job in the middle of year 2020, which allowed me to rollover the pre-tax component of the DCP into Roth IRA (in addition to my monthly mega backdoor roth IRA). 

To summarize, DCP account has the following components for tax purposes:

1. Pre-tax Contributions + associated earnings (which was rolled over to roth IRA at the end of employment - taxable) 

2. After-tax non-roth contributions (which got converted to roth IRA every month - should not be taxed)

3. Earnings on After-tax non-roth contribution (taxable and rolled over to roth IRA)

I got my 1099-R form from Fidelity and here it is. 

1. Gross distribution $12,106.56

2a. Taxable amount: $6,028.31

2b. Total distribution checked

5. Employee contrib/desig Roth contrib or insurance premiums: $6000 (this was the amount of after-tax non-roth contribution that I made before its associated earnings)

7. Distribution code: G

When I plug these numbers in to Turbotax, the 1040 form shows:

5a Pensions and annuities: $12,107

5b Taxable amount: $12,135

which is likely incorrect because it seems to count the $6000 non-roth after tax contribution as taxable amount. 

This was how I plugged my information into turbotax: 

-On the form 1099-R you received, is the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box between box 7 and box 8 checked? ans: no the box is blank

-Is this 1099-R reporting a rollover of funds from a 401k plan to a designated roth 401K? ans: No, this money didn't roll over to a designated roth 401k

-For rollovers to a Roth IRA, we may need to collect additional info. For rollovers to all other types of retirement account (such as traditional IRA), just answer No. ans: Yes, this money was rolled over to a Roth IRA account

-Did you make any after-tax contributions to your 401k plan? This would be contributions you made into the plan yourself, rather than being made by your company on your behalf. ans: yes, I made after-tax contributions to this 401k.

-After tax contributions to 401K: ans: $6,000.00

-Was this pension received from employment as public safety officer? ans: No

What am I doing wrong? How do I make it so that I don't get double taxed on my after-tax contribution of 6000?

Thanks for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies