Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax does not treat taxable non-tuition fellowship and stipend payments reported via a 1099-G correctly

Turbotax does not treat taxable non-tuition fellowship and stipend payments reported via a 1099-G correctly (i.e. not on a W-2), but HR Block does.  IRS Publication 590-a is absolutely crystal clear in stating for IRA purposes that "Compensation includes ... taxable non-tuition fellowship and stipend payments" and since 2019, "Taxable non-tuition fellowship and stipend payments. For tax years beginning after 2019, taxable non-tuition fellowship and stipend payments are treated as taxable compensation for the purpose of IRA contributions". 

I was on the phone with Turbotax support for over an hour, but they refused to admit this glaring error in their application and tried to force me to upgrade for a fee.

I re-entered everything into HR Block's application, which asked the proper questions and treated the 1099-G-reported fellowship grant as income for IRA contribution purposes.

I'm considering moving another five family member's tax preparation to HR Block as a result.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies