turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax 1099-R box 17 reads "local distribution" but my 1099-R reads "Pick-Up Contrib's". Are they the same?

Turbotax help and IRS instructions give no hints that box 17 might have something other than "local distribution".

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
WillK
Intuit Alumni

Turbotax 1099-R box 17 reads "local distribution" but my 1099-R reads "Pick-Up Contrib's". Are they the same?

Box 17 is supposed to be used to report distributions that are subject to local taxes.  It looks like the company that issued you the 1099-R decided to use this box in a non-standard way.  Instead of local distributions, they reported your "Pick-Up" contributions.  Do not enter that amount in box 17 of TurboTax since this box is not intended for this information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
WillK
Intuit Alumni

Box 17 is supposed to be used to report distributions that are subject to local taxes.  It looks like the company that issued you the 1099-R decided to use this box in a non-standard way.  Instead of local distributions, they reported your "Pick-Up" contributions.  Do not enter that amount in box 17 of TurboTax since this box is not intended for this information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

Box 17 is also used to report supplemental information.  In this case it is reporting a distribution of money attributable to a state pick-up contribution.

After entering the details of this Form 1099-R (ignoring box 17), click the Continue button on the Your 1099-R Entries page and proceed to the "Where Is This Distribution From?" page.  Select the "Pickup" radio button and enter the amount shown in box 17 of your Form 1099-R.  If you do not, you'll be double-taxed on this money on your state tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies