Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT H&B desktop not figuring SEP max contribution correctly

I am confused.  Husband is a sole proprietor LLC.  We both contributed $7500 to our Traditional IRA accounts so we can save $3300 on our taxes.  But now I want to see how much he can contribute to a SEP from his business also.  I am filing an extension so listed a safe number of $50,000 as his net business income.  TT is saying his max allowed to a SEP is $49,721, then deducting his $7500 from that and saying he can contribute $42,221 to a SEP. 

TT is telling me I have to withdraw my $7500 from my traditional IRA (so basically I can't do any IRA contribution at all for 2023?)  I do not have a job (but work for free on his business) so I know I can't do a SEP, but can't I do a max Traditional IRA as a spouse?

And from reading IRS publications, shouldn't the max contribution for a SEP on my husband be 25% of his $50,000 net profit ($12,500 and not the $42,221 it is telling him)?  

So TT is really messing things up the way I see it as I, as a spouse, should be able to make a $7500  Traditional IRA contribution.  And my husband should be able to make a $7500 Traditional IRA contribution and a $12,500 SEP contribution.  He is 72 and I am 65 if our ages play into any of this

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Somehow you have entered far more than $50,000 of net profit from self-employment.

I put in an even 50,000 as the estimated income from his business .  And it still doesn’t explain why it is telling me I have to withdraw my $7500 traditional IRA  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies