Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

albertlin
Returning Member

TSP to Roth IRA Conversion Question

My mother took her required TSP RMD in 2023 which we reported as income for 2023 easily in TurboTax 2023. However, we also took out an extra $7500 from her TSP, which she received a check for (made out to Vanguard) which she immediately sent within 60 days to Vanguard to convert to a Roth IRA. As I understand, this counts as a CONVERSION, and not a ROLLOVER or CONTRIBUTION, because it was initially a pretax TSP contribution which is now being CONVERTED to a Roth IRA, which is a taxable event. But I am unclear where we should document this in Turbo Tax 2023 Deluxe? I'm having trouble finding out how to document this, as this seems a bit different from backdoor Roth IRAs, which I have done before.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

TSP to Roth IRA Conversion Question

Presumably the Form 1099-R for the $7,500 rollover has code G in box 7 and $7,500 in both boxes 1 and 2a.  Enter this Form 1099-R in the same section as the one reporting the RMD distribution.  Answer No to the question asking if the rollover was to a Roth 401(k), Roth 403(b) or Roth 457(b).  Answer Yes to the question asking if the rollover was to a Roth IRA.  TurboTax will include the $7,500 on line 5b with the rollover notation and will add it to 2023 taxable conversion basis on the IRA Information Worksheet.

(If the code-G Form 1099-R has a zero of blank box 2a, it means that the TSP was told that the rollover to to be to a traditional IRA, not to a Roth IRA, and your mother diverted the funds to a Roth IRA, which will require entering a substitute Form 1099-R (Form 4852),  changing the amount in box 2a to $7,500 with explanation.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies