Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Transferring HSA Account to New a HSA Account

I am in the process of transferring my current HSA account to a newly created Fidelity HSA account.

I am retired, on Medicare and over 65.

Is this process allowed without any penalties or taxes?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

A trustee-to-trustee transfer of an HSA where the funds are never paid to you is not reportable.  However, if you instead receive a distribution from the original HSA and indirectly deposit it into the new HSA, this would be a distribution and rollover that would be  reportable on your 2024 tax return but would be nontaxable.  Such a distribution and rollover is permitted only if you have not done another distribution and rollover of an HSA within the one year period ending on the date of the withdrawal from the HSA.  Age and Medicare coverage have no bearing on the permissibility of a distribution and rollover of an HSA.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

A trustee-to-trustee transfer of an HSA where the funds are never paid to you is not reportable.  However, if you instead receive a distribution from the original HSA and indirectly deposit it into the new HSA, this would be a distribution and rollover that would be  reportable on your 2024 tax return but would be nontaxable.  Such a distribution and rollover is permitted only if you have not done another distribution and rollover of an HSA within the one year period ending on the date of the withdrawal from the HSA.  Age and Medicare coverage have no bearing on the permissibility of a distribution and rollover of an HSA.

@dmertz  Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies