Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SG67
Returning Member

Transferred from a non qualified annuity to a certificate of deposit. 1099-R shows $0 in Box 2a and Distribution Code 6 which is like exchange.

I believe there should be a taxable amount in Box 2a and D in the Distribution Box as this was transferred from a non qualified annuity to a certificate of deposit and not a like exchange.  Is that correct and do I need to request a corrected 1099-R or can I just put the correct information on my tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Transferred from a non qualified annuity to a certificate of deposit. 1099-R shows $0 in Box 2a and Distribution Code 6 which is like exchange.

It is best to request a corrected 1099-R.  However, if you do not receive one please enter the information as it should be.  

There is a chance the IRS will request additional information from you, though it's not likely since you'll be reporting more income than what the annuity company has reported to the IRS with their filing.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

You must obtain a corrected Form 1099-R.  If the annuity company refuses, you must submit a substitute From 1099-R (Form 4852) to explain why the Form 1099-R issued by the annuity company is wrong.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies