Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Traditional to roth IRA conversion

I need to understand what basis I need to put into Form 8606.

Many years I put the max. into a traditional IRA, SEP, 401K etc.

I converted all my SEP and some of my traditional IRA into the Roth which had a few years of direct (post tax) deposits.

It could be that my basis is '0'.

Am I looking all my traditional IRAS together for a #?

Am I looking only at what is transferred?

If I look at form 5498 it doesn't have the language of basis anywhere, only the contribution and fair market value. Deposits to something in the traditional IRA realm in the 80's, so paperwork will be slim.

When does basis come up regarding a conversion to a Roth? I have done a few hours of reading and still don't get it. Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Traditional to roth IRA conversion

When converting a Traditional IRA to Roth IRA, you have to determine the basis in all your traditional IRAs.   You only have a basis if you made after tax (non deductible) contributions to an IRA.  You have to consider all of your traditional IRAs as if they were a single combined IRA.  So, if you have two traditional IRAs you combine the balances, and determine a combined basis.   Let's say you have two Traditional IRAs.  One is a 401(k) rollover that had all pre-tax contributions that you rolled over to an IRA - it had a year-end balance of $100,000.  Your second IRA is one that has a combination of pre-tax and after tax contributions.  The amount of the after tax contributions is $25,000, and balance at year end was $50,000.  Your basis in your combined balance of $150,000 is $25,000.  You then covert your $50,000 IRA to a Roth IRA.  The amount that is pretax and taxable is $41,500, not $25,000.  Your total pretax balance is $125,000, which is 83% of the $150,000 total.  So any amount you convert from either IRA is going to result in 83% of it being taxed as ordinary income.  

If you had after tax contributions to a Traditional IRA, you should have reported those each year on Form 8606 with your tax return.  It notifies the IRS that you have after tax contributions,  and serves as a record for you to track the basis in your IRAs.      

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies