Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CSS1
Returning Member

Traditional IRA contribution

I'm confused about this subject.  When I work through the Turbotax section on the IRA contribution it asks me if I want to "Maximize" my contribution.  If I check that box Turbotax returns me a number higher than the "permitted" contribution of $7500.00.  Why is Turbotax maximizing my contribution at a higher amount?

Thanks in Advance,

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

You are in the section for reporting contributions to a self-employed retirement plan.  Ordinary personal contributions are to be entered under Deductions & Credits, not business items.

If you are trying to determine the maximum contribution to a SEP-IRA for a SEP plan established under your business, the contribution limit is different than for an ordinary personal IRA contribution and TurboTax uses the  worksheet from Chapter 5 of IRS Pub 560 to determine the amount.

CSS1
Returning Member

Thanks,  My eyes glaze over when I try and read IRS publications.   Can you tell me what else in our company profile I should look at to determine our maximum contribution or can I take Turbotax word that I can contribute their calculated "Maximum" contribution?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies