Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lbowie63

My IRA distr. is code 7, but 100% non-taxable since I rolled the exact amount back within the 60 day period. TT is treating it like a withdrawal of excess contrib. Help?

Should I just use the explanation box as a way to explain to IRS what happened, or can I edit the 1099R so it is deemed correctly?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

My IRA distr. is code 7, but 100% non-taxable since I rolled the exact amount back within the 60 day period. TT is treating it like a withdrawal of excess contrib. Help?

You have mistakenly entered a zero in box 2a of TurboTax's 1099-R form.  You must enter the Form 1099-R exactly as received, with box 2a showing the same amount as is in box 1.  In the follow-up questions, indicate the you moved some or all of the money to another retirement account (or returned it to the same account) and that you rolled over the entire amount.  TurboTax will exclude from Form 1040 line 4b the amount rolled over and will include the word ROLLOVER next to the line.  TurboTax will show this nontaxable income in the income summary but it will not be included in your AGI on Form 1040 line 7.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

You have mistakenly entered a zero in box 2a of TurboTax's 1099-R form.  You must enter the Form 1099-R exactly as received, with box 2a showing the same amount as is in box 1.  In the follow-up questions, indicate the you moved some or all of the money to another retirement account (or returned it to the same account) and that you rolled over the entire amount.  TurboTax will exclude from Form 1040 line 4b the amount rolled over and will include the word ROLLOVER next to the line.  TurboTax will show this nontaxable income in the income summary but it will not be included in your AGI on Form 1040 line 7.

lbowie63

This was so incredibly helpful. Thank you!!!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies