Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

This is my first time filing taxes I'm going to need a break down and how to's.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LindaA
Expert Alumni

This is my first time filing taxes I'm going to need a break down and how to's.

TurboTax has an interview format that will walk you through the preparation process. When you sign in for the first time, you'll be asked to enter your name and other personal information, then answer some questions that will determine your filing status. Next you'll enter your income, such as wages from a job, reported on Form W-2. The TurboTax screens have fields that match the boxes on your forms, so you'll know where to enter the information. When you're finished entering info on a screen, clicking the Continue button in the lower right corner will advance you to the next page. After you're finished with your income, you'll be prompted to enter information about your health insurance coverage and any deductions or credits that might apply to you. Once your federal information is complete, you can work on your state return, if needed. If you have questions while you are working on your return, use the Search function (in the upper right corner) to find answers. (Click the first and second screenshots below for reference.) 

If you need to stop working on your return at any point, be sure to click My Account (top right of your screen) then Save & Sign Out. (Click the third screenshot below for reference.) TurboTax will sign you out of your account and save your information, so you can come back and finish later. To continue where you left off, just sign in again, click the orange Take me to my return button, then click Pick up where I left off. (See the 4th and 5th screenshots below.)

Important: Store your TurboTax user id and password in a safe place, and be sure to use this same user id and password every time (and every year) you sign in to TurboTax. This way all of your tax returns will be stored in the same account.

Do I need to file a federal return this year?  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302274
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies