turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I get acceptance of the IRA basis carried over that I changed and then changed back to it?

I had a spreadsheet keeping tract of my non-deductible contributions to my IRA.  I thought the TurboTax carryover from 2017 was different than my calculations.  So I changed it.  Then I got a message that said it was different from what TT had carried over.  It wanted me to fill out an explanation of why it was different.  After working on my spreadsheet, I decided to change it back to the original carry over.  But I still get the message wanting an explanation of why it is different.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

How do I get acceptance of the IRA basis carried over that I changed and then changed back to it?

Any modification to basis triggers TurboTax to require a explanation statement for the adjustment, even if you change the basis value back to the original.  Unfortunately there is no way to eliminate the explanation statement other than to print an mail your tax return, physically omitting that page, or to start your tax return over with a new transfer of your 2017 tax return.  Alternatively, you can indicate in the explanation statement that there was no adjustment to basis ... that line 2 of your 2018 Form 8606 is the same as line 14 of your previously filed Form 8606 (or a different line if your last filed Form 8606 was for some year prior to 2001).  The IRS doesn't look at the explanation statement anyway unless they have reason to examine your tax return.

In the explanation area, enter the following :
"Not Applicable"

Thanks. Now I can move on.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies