turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I closed on my house December 13th and my first monthly payment is due February 1st. Do I need to wait to deduct the PMI/homecredit until next year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I closed on my house December 13th and my first monthly payment is due February 1st. Do I need to wait to deduct the PMI/homecredit until next year?

That answer is incomplete, I'm afraid.

If you have a VA loan or a loan from the Rural Housing Authority, the lump sum PMI (called a funding fee) is in fact deductible all at once in the year you pay it.  But if you paid a lump sum PMI to a bank or the FHA, it must be deducted over 84 months beginning with your first mortgage payment. Since you have no payments in 2016, you don't deduct any PMI in 2016.  For 2017, you would deduct 11/84ths of the lump sum amount, and continuing each year until you use it up.  (Also, I believe the deduction ends in 2016, but Congress has been extending it one or two years at a time for the last decade or so.  No guesses on what the Trump tax plan will do to it.)

Your 1098 for 2017 is supposed to show the allocation of prepaid PMI along with any monthly PMI payments but it may not.  If it doesn't, you can manually add it.  But that's something to watch for next year.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Your HUD1 statement would be dated December 13th, which means all payments occurred in 2016.   Use the following information to help with any further questions. <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301952">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301952</a>
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Thanks for adding the additional information Opus17.

That answer is incomplete, I'm afraid.

If you have a VA loan or a loan from the Rural Housing Authority, the lump sum PMI (called a funding fee) is in fact deductible all at once in the year you pay it.  But if you paid a lump sum PMI to a bank or the FHA, it must be deducted over 84 months beginning with your first mortgage payment. Since you have no payments in 2016, you don't deduct any PMI in 2016.  For 2017, you would deduct 11/84ths of the lump sum amount, and continuing each year until you use it up.  (Also, I believe the deduction ends in 2016, but Congress has been extending it one or two years at a time for the last decade or so.  No guesses on what the Trump tax plan will do to it.)

Your 1098 for 2017 is supposed to show the allocation of prepaid PMI along with any monthly PMI payments but it may not.  If it doesn't, you can manually add it.  But that's something to watch for next year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies