turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nashraj

If I am employed,making 401-K contribution and turned 71yrs . do I need to make RMD withdrawals from my other traditional IRAs with other custodians?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AndreaG

If I am employed,making 401-K contribution and turned 71yrs . do I need to make RMD withdrawals from my other traditional IRAs with other custodians?

Yes. You need to be taking required minimum distributions from all your Traditional IRAs. According to page 6 of pub 590B under the headings, "when must you withdraw assets? (required minimum distributions)" and "IRA owners", "if you are the owner of a traditional IRA, you must generally start receiving distributions from your IRA by April 1 of the year following the year in which you reach age 70 1/2. April 1 of the year following the year in which you reach age 70 1/2 is referred to as the required beginning date.

Under the heading, "distributions by the required beginning date", it goes on to say, "You must receive at least a minimum amount for each year starting with the year you reach age 70 1/2 (your 70 1/2 year). If you do not (or did not) receive that minimum amount in your 70 1/2, then you must receive distributions for your 70 1/2 year by April 1 of the next year..."  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590b.pdf

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AndreaG

Yes. You need to be taking required minimum distributions from all your Traditional IRAs. According to page 6 of pub 590B under the headings, "when must you withdraw assets? (required minimum distributions)" and "IRA owners", "if you are the owner of a traditional IRA, you must generally start receiving distributions from your IRA by April 1 of the year following the year in which you reach age 70 1/2. April 1 of the year following the year in which you reach age 70 1/2 is referred to as the required beginning date.

Under the heading, "distributions by the required beginning date", it goes on to say, "You must receive at least a minimum amount for each year starting with the year you reach age 70 1/2 (your 70 1/2 year). If you do not (or did not) receive that minimum amount in your 70 1/2, then you must receive distributions for your 70 1/2 year by April 1 of the next year..."  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590b.pdf

nashraj

Thanks,Andreag
AndreaG

You are most welcome!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies