turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi , I need to report the foreign income from social security and retirement fond from another country. How can I do that? I did not find any way to do that Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies
GeoffreyG

Hi , I need to report the foreign income from social security and retirement fond from another country. How can I do that? I did not find any way to do that Thank you

Thank you for asking this question.  Please note from the outset that this answer does not address the tax treatment of your (foreign) Social Security or pension income, from the perspective of any other country aside from the United States.  It also does not consider any tax treaty provisions that may be in effect between the US and the other country.  In other words, the scope of this answer is restricted to the US tax treatment and reporting of these items only.  Any taxes due or forms required by the other country involved are beyond the purview of this response.

That said, there are some good existing answers on this very topic (foreign pension income, that is), on a few of the other TurboTax AnswerXchange threads.  They provide mechanical instructions for entering foreign pension income into TurboTax (and thus onto a US tax return).  Here are those links, so that you can read them for yourself:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3175138

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3642520

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3833087

Essentially those answers propose one of two different solutions.  Under one method you can input a foreign pension or non-US Social Security payments into TurboTax (and thus report them on a US tax return), by creating a "substitute" Form 1099-R.  It does not matter whether the income was a one-time lump sum payment, or an annual (ongoing) pension stream of monthly payments.  It still gets reported, and taxed, the same.

Alternatively (and also preferably as well, because it is easier to do), you can enter the foreign pension income on Form 1040, Line 21 as "other income" or "foreign pension."  If you choose this way, then you won't have to create a substitute Form1099-R, by filing Form 4852.

However, the end tax result (in terms of United States tax rate and amount assessed) will be identical under both methods.  You can enter a Line 21 amount in TurboTax by using the following pathway Federal Taxes -> Wages & Income -> Less Common Income -> Visit All and then proceed through the interview until you find an appropriate place to declare the foreign income and type in an accompanying description.

Thanks again for asking about this.
mtbr
Returning Member

I followed your directions and input my foreign Social Security income in as Foreign earned income, as that was the only option.  I cannot find a place anywhere to explain what the earnings are from, neither in the TurboTax step by step forms or on the IRS forms themselves.  Can you explain where I should explain  this income?

There must be millions of people in the US that have to declare this income and it seems there would be a more appropriate way.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No that is not the only option to enter the income. Here is a better way to enter.

1. Go to federal>income and expenses>all income>>show more 
  2. Less Common Income> Start
  3. Miscellaneous Income,>start
  4. Other reportable income>start
  5. Next screen asks Any Other Taxable Income>yes
  6. The next screen will allow you to report the income with a brief explanation. Here you will mention this is Social Security Income from XXXX (the country where it is issued from).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This is all very helpful. Can anyone tell me whether foreign pension income needs to be reported (and is taxable) on the PA tax return (for residents of Pennsylvania)? Thanks, Bernhard

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Pennsylvania usually allows you to exclude pension income from being taxable.  I'm sure @TomD8 can help clarify this for you, though.

@Bernhard

TomD8
Level 15

@Bernhard --

Under Pennsylvania law, payments commonly recognized as old age or retirement benefits are not subject to tax. In order to be considered exempt retirement benefits, the payments must come from an eligible Pennsylvania retirement plan and must be paid to persons retired from service after reaching a specific age or after a stated period of employment.

Scroll down to "Criteria for A Plan to Qualify as an Eligible Pennsylvania Retirement Plan" in this reference for more details:

https://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/PAPersonalIncomeTaxGuide/Pages/Gross-Compensation.as...

I suggest you contact a local tax professional if you're unsure whether or not your foreign pension income qualifies under these rules. 

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Thank you, TomD*.

I am positive that all four of the below quoted eligibility criteria apply to our situation. There is even an explicit  statement that lump sum payment do not disqualify. I don't think a tax advisor could read this in any other way - so again, thank you!

"A plan is considered an eligible Pennsylvania retirement plan if, at a minimum, the plan has four        characteristics:

• The plan is reduced to writing and has been communicated to the participants;
  • The plan establishes eligibility requirements for separation of service or a combination of old age or infirmity, and long-continued service;
  • The plan provides for payments to be made at regularly recurring intervals after their separation from service by retirement which continues at least until death. An option for a lump sum payments or payments does not disqualify the retirement nature of the plan as long as the other provisions are provided; and
  • The plan does not permit the distribution of program benefits to any employee until termination of employment except for incidental disability benefits or the return of the employee’s previously taxed contributions and income or gains if the employee is required to contribute to the pension plan."

Hi Dave, could you be kind enough to confirm if a Foreign Social Security Pension must be reported in Form 1040 SR line 8 “Other incomes from Schedule 1, line 10”, and in such Schedule in line 8z? . Thanks in advance . 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

@Kosetife Yes, you are correct. I sent a response to @misterno123.  Here is what I mentioned.

"Kosetife is correct in what he/she says. I could not find any information that was contrary to the "savings clause". Here is how to report.

• Click Federal > Wages & Income>all income>
  • Go to the last selection, Miscellaneous Income and click Start
  • Go to the last option, Other reportable income and click Start
  • When it asks, "Any other reportable income?" say yes and then type in a description and the amount to report it on your tax return. For the description, type in Foreign Social Security from Turkey and then the amount".

Dave , before 2018 taxable foreign social security pensions were reported in Form 1040 line 21. After the 2018 Form revision, those Pensions are reported in line 8 Other income from Schedule 1 line 10, and in such Schedule in line 8z. I don’t have doubt now of it. 
My query is if by following the steps you kindly describe in your message related to @@misterno123 the system will take me to enter the information in Form 1040 line 8 and Schedule 1 line 8z automatically. Thanks in advance . 

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Yes, the steps given by DaveF will place the income on line 8z on Schedule1 and will transfer to Line 8 1040.

@Kosetife

campy0619

Is foreign Social Security income subject to the same Federal taxation limits (85 percent max) as U.S.  Social Security income? Taxpayer is a U.S Citizen.

Also, if so, where is the most appropriate place to report this income?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

No, foreign social security is not subject to the same federal taxation limits as US Social Security. This is entered as other income and is taxed at your tax rate that is based on your filing status and other income. The steps given by DaveF will let you know how to enter this income.

• Click Federal > Wages & Income>all income>
  • Go to the last selection, Miscellaneous Income, and click Start
  • Go to the last option, Other reportable income, and click Start
  • When it asks, "Any other reportable income?" say yes and then type in a description and the amount to report it on your tax return. For the description, type in Foreign Social Security from (enter your country) and then the amount".

@campy0619

campy0619

Its the answer I anticipated. Thanks for your follow up.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies