Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

slizTT
Returning Member

tax exempt interest pulled from form 1041, Estate/Trust is affecting tax liability

Hello,

When I enter $3937 in Box14 and designate it code A for "tax-exempt" interest on Form 1041 in Turbo Tax, it does not reflect in my taxable income, line 2b on 1040 (it does appear on 1040 line 2a). But it does make a difference in the amount I owe. In this case, it lessens the amount of my refund by close to $285.  Why is this? It seems like only the taxable interest should matter? FYI, the $512 taxable interest I enter does show on line 2b the 1040. Got any ideas?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
slizTT
Returning Member

tax exempt interest pulled from form 1041, Estate/Trust is affecting tax liability

Just an update... I can see that the tax exempt amount is getting added to my "modified" AGI on Form 8962 which is affecting my Premium Tax Credit. Can someone explain please??

Thanks!

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, that's correct. 

Form the instructions for Form 8962:  "For purposes of the Premium Tax Credit (PTC), modified AGI is the AGI on your tax return plus certain income that is not subject to tax (foreign earned income, tax-exempt interest, and the portion of social security benefits that is not taxable)."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies