Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rvle
Level 2

taking advantage of indirect rollver from 401K 60 days window

hello everyone,

My original 401K institution is making a check payable to my new institution with my name on it as FBO with 100% of the money (no tax withheld). So my question is, can I cash the check into my personal account and deposit the money later into the new institution within the allowed 60 days window? Appreciate any input!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

"can I cash the check into my personal account and deposit the money later into the new institution within the allowed 60 days window?"

Technically, no.  The fact that no taxes are being withheld implies a direct rollover and the check should actually be made out to the receiving account, not just to the financial institution FBO you.  Still, 401(k) plans often make the payee ambiguous such that it is possible to deposit the funds into any of your accounts at that financial institution, and depositing the funds into a nonqualified account does cause the distribution to fail to be a direct rollover despite no taxes being withheld.  Since the distribution fails to be a direct rollover, completion of the rollover would have to be accomplished indirectly by the 60th day following the date of the distribution.  You certainly can't deposit the funds into any account at a different financial institution because  neither you nor that different financial institution is the payee on the check.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Your bank probably will not accept the check because it's not payable to you. It's payable to the new institution. "FBO" identifies you as the owner of the 401(k), not as a payee. This is a direct trustee-to-trustee transfer, not an indirect rollover. The paper passes through your hands, but the money doesn't pass through your hands. All you can do with the check is send it to the new institution. You're just a messenger.

rvle
Level 2

thanks for the quick reply. But what if I have a bank that is willing to cash the check that is FBO'd to me?

dmertz
Level 15

"can I cash the check into my personal account and deposit the money later into the new institution within the allowed 60 days window?"

Technically, no.  The fact that no taxes are being withheld implies a direct rollover and the check should actually be made out to the receiving account, not just to the financial institution FBO you.  Still, 401(k) plans often make the payee ambiguous such that it is possible to deposit the funds into any of your accounts at that financial institution, and depositing the funds into a nonqualified account does cause the distribution to fail to be a direct rollover despite no taxes being withheld.  Since the distribution fails to be a direct rollover, completion of the rollover would have to be accomplished indirectly by the 60th day following the date of the distribution.  You certainly can't deposit the funds into any account at a different financial institution because  neither you nor that different financial institution is the payee on the check.

rvle
Level 2

Appreciate the thorough explanation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies