Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Switch from FTC (Foreign Tax Credit) to FEIE (Foreign Earned Income Exclusion)

1.- I’m a green card holder living in the US (since I retired almost 7 years ago in my country) on my “foreign sourced social security income”. I used to claim Foreign Tax Credit ( FTC) because income tax is higher in the sourced country than in the US.

2.- In 2022 I was exempted by the sourced country and my foreign social security income was not longer taxable at source since then.

3.- Anyway, taking into account that foreign social security benefits are taxable in the US, I wonder if I am entitled to switch from Foreign Tax Credit (FTC) to Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE)?

4.- I have accrued foreign tax credit ( carryover / carryforward) that I can use. But taking into account that my foreign social security income is lower than the FEIE threshold, I prefer FEIE instead of FTC . With all that said, my question is: Can my “foreign social security income” be considered a “foreign earned income” ? .

I don’t think so but I can be wrong. I am not living and working overseas, but I lived and worked overseas during 40 years and because of that I was entitled to have my social security income from my country.

Summarizing : Can I switch from Foreign Tax Credit (FTC) to Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE)?

Thank very much in advance.

Looking forward to hearing from someone, I remain

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No because only foreign earned income qualifies for the FEIE.  Social Security is considered unearned income and does not qualify for the FEIE exclusion.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks very much for your reply which confirms what I thought,  but not being and expert I needed a confirmation like yours . You have been very kind and efficient with your prompt accurate reply . All the best !!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies