Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

South Carolina Permanent Disability Retirement Income, do I enter the amount I rec, from social security for disability?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

South Carolina Permanent Disability Retirement Income, do I enter the amount I rec, from social security for disability?

No, don't enter the amount that you receive from Social Security for disability as South Carolina Permanent Disability Retirement income.

Unfortunately, Social security disability is not considered permanent disability retirement income for South Carolina tax purposes. 

This SC subtraction is limited to payments received from retirement plans, and Social Security is not a "retirement plan."

From the 2016 Instructions - South Carolina Form SC1040:

"If disability retirement income was taxed on your federal income tax return and you are totally and permanently disabled, you may be able to deduct this income from your South Carolina taxable income.

You must be totally and permanently disabled, unable to be substantially gainfully employed, receiving income from a disability retirement plan, and eligible for the homestead exemption under SC Code Section 12-37-250. You must attach a copy of the physician's statement establishing that you are permanently and totally disabled.

NOTE: The deduction is limited to payments received from retirement plans."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies