Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dev1105

Solo 401k entry into TurboTax with only w2 and K-1

I am one of two partners in an SCorp and i receive a W-2 and a K-1 (no 1099).  Turbo Tax will not let me enter my employee solo 401k contribution, it says i need to have a 1099 or K-1.  As mentioned, i have a K-1 and it is fully entered which should trigger that screen to be available. 

I had a similar problem last year and Turbo Tax staff advised me to start an entry for a self employed business and enter only as much info as is required.  This opened up the solo 401k screen and i entered my contribution.  Then i was told to go back and delete that 1099.  I did this and it worked beautifully.  

This year however when i go back and delete the self employment it also deletes the solo k contribution. What can I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

According to the IRS, contributions to a retirement plan can only be made from compensation to an S-Corp shareholder. You also can’t establish a self-employed retirement plan for yourself solely based on being an S corporation shareholder.

You can make salary deferral contributions to the 401(k) plan based on your Form W-2 compensation and your employer can make matching or nonelective contributions to the plan based on your Form W-2 compensation as an employee.

Read more here: IRS: Retirement plan FAQs regarding contributions - S corporation

[edited to remove/revise previous answer 03/19/2024 | 10:26 am PDT]

@dev1105

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

PatriciaV's reply does not apply because it overlooks the fact that you are a shareholder in the S corp, not a partner, and you are not self-employed.  Deposits to your solo 401(k) must be made by the S corp, reported on the S corps tax return.  Your elective deferrals are required to have been reported in box 12 of your W-2.  The only entry permitted in TurboTax for your individual tax return is to enter the amounts from box 12 of you rW-2 into box 12 of TurboTax's W-2 form, no other entries in TurboTax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies