Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should this New Zealander become a US citizen?

I am a New Zealand citizen, but have lived and worked in the USA for many years. I'm currently a US permanent resident, and I have just become eligible to apply for citizenship. I'm wondering whether I should apply. I don't see myself living in the USA permanently, and I plan to move back to NZ in the near future, but I guess there's a small chance I would want to move back to the USA in the future. All else being equal, I would apply for US citizenship since I figure it's best to have as many citizenships as possible in this topsy-turvy world. I had thought that one strong reason to get the citizenship is that it would grant me social security benefits at retirement age, but I've since learned that any retirement benefits I might receive from NZ would be reduced in proportion to my US social security benefits, which largely undercut this retirement-based consideration.

My main reason NOT to get the US citizenship is that US citizens must file tax returns on their worldwide income. Even if my NZ income would be exempt from this due to tax treaties between the USA & NZ, it still seems like a drag to have to submit two tax returns per year, and to navigate the various fees and legal complexities involved. E.g. I'd almost certainly have to hire an accountant, which would mean more $$ down the drain. I've also heard that there are certain restrictions on the kinds of investments that US citizens living overseas are able to make.

So as best I can tell there are some minor reasons for me to apply for US citizenship (e.g. backup in case I decide to move back to the US, or in case of major disaster in NZ, and maybe some small retirement benefit), but there's a major reason NOT to apply (i.e. to avoid the stress and expenses of paying tax to the USA). However, I don't quite know how to weigh up these various reasons, or if there are some other reasons I should take into  consideration.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Should this New Zealander become a US citizen?

A U.S. permanent resident is treated the same as a U.S. citizen for federal income tax purposes. As far as income tax is concerned, it won't make any difference whether you are a citizen or a permanent resident. You will be required to file U.S. tax returns as long as you maintain your permanent resident status, even if you are no longer living in the U.S. In order to stop filing U.S. tax returns you would have to take steps to abandon your resident status. Doing that, of course, might affect your ability to return to the U.S. if you wanted to.

The rules for situations such as yours are very complex. You should consult a lawyer who is familiar with all of the applicable immigration and tax rules. Don't rely on anonymous advice from the internet, not even mine.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies