Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I put items I already paid tax in UK on tax return, and if I do. where do I put them- 2 are life insurance that matured and one is a UK occupational pension?

1) Endowment life insurance plan matured and UK statement says I do not need to put on tax return -No chargable gain.
2) Life insurance has matured, tax paid in UK.
3) Occupational pension plan payed out and tax payed in UK. 
where do I put them if I need to put on US tax return?
I have paper statements for all three.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Should I put items I already paid tax in UK on tax return, and if I do. where do I put them- 2 are life insurance that matured and one is a UK occupational pension?

@pk?

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@damenora , having read through your post  of income streams  from UK and UK tax situation thereon , I still need your own immigration status  ( US citizen/ GreenCard/ Resident for tax purposes and your age , if the pension/ life insurance is in your own name  or based on somebody else ( inherited ), is this for tax year 2022 or  2023 ?

I will circle back once  I hear from you -- in the meantime , I will refresh my memory  on US-UK tax treaty

Hello PK

I am a permanent resident, and everything is in my name. It is a UK Government pension and a life insurance for me that matures on a specific date and pays out. The other is an endowment policy with life insurance that also pays out at a specific date (matures). I am 66. The Uk withhold taxes when they pay out. The pension has a lump sum that is tax free in UK.  I think I do need to declare them, and I dread paying more taxes!

PS

I have claimed the USUK tax treaty on my taxes (with help) but when I read the Form 8833 that I must submit with it, I don't meet the definition of dual resident. I am a permanent resident and no longer resident in UK. How can I be resident in both, its not possible? So I think i need to remove that which means going over whole form befor submit it.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@damenora ,  you are correct in that you as a permanent resident  ( GreenCard), and being in the USA ( Tax home USA), cannot  seek  US-UK treaty benefits.   Thus you need to re-do your return for  US.  You can indeed seek to ameliorate double taxation by  taking foreign Tax credit ( as long as there is foreign income )  --- use the form 1116  with lump sum  distribution for the pension benefit.  The life insurance, though , is another matter .  If this was paid for by you then generally it should not be taxable  or based on exact facts and circumstances you could be taxed only on the gain i.e. total received  LESS total paid in.

If this is a 2022 return, then I would suggest not to rush but do it correctly , even if you are day or two late.  TurboTax  e-file would be open  for at least another week or two ( I think ) because of rejected returns have three days to correct and re-file.

Good Luck.

If you need more on this , please feel welcome to send me PM or add to this thread.

pk

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies