jeezerz

Should I enter the High Deductible Health Plan contribution for State of Georgia?

I did have in 2017 a PPO with HSA for myself and wife, The annual deductible was $5800 and the Out of Pocket Maximum was $13,100. I called HR and asked if the premiums came out of my paycheck as pre taxed and it turns out they did. I don't know if this makes it a no no to enter, but Turbo Tax didn't prompt to ask about whether it was pre tax or not.

BMcCalpin

Based on your comments, I am going to assume that on your W-2, you had a code DD in box 12 that represented the premiums paid by your and your employer for the HDHP, and that you probably had a code W in box 12 for the contributions that your employer and you made to the HSA by means of payroll deduction (if any).

Because your health insurance premiums are pre-tax, they do not need to be entered again anywhere on your federal or state return. "Pre-tax" means that the premiums were removed from Wages on your W-2, and you can't take a deduction for amounts that weren't in your income in the first place.

jeezerz

Thanks for the quick reply, I was puzzled it came up in the step through process considering all of the W2 information had been entered during the federal steps in the software. Seems like it would have known not to ask. Glad I double checked. Thanks.
jeezerz

And yes there are 4 boxes in 12a-d.  
12b = W
From what I read in the "more details" link it referred to the amount of annual premiums, not the contributions from myself to the HSA or from my employer. So I was looking to include the premiums only not the amount that appeared in box 12b. I'll steer clear though just in case.