turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Second year in a row of excess Roth contribution confusion

I thought I'd gotten a handle on how to deal with an accidental excess Roth IRA contribution that I made in early 2021 (for tax year 2021) but now it's coming back to bite me preparing 2022 taxes.

Due to unexpected increase in income, I discovered while preparing 2021 taxes that I had made an excess Roth IRA contribution. I decided to just recharacterize the entire amount of the contribution ($7000) as a traditional IRA. I did this through Vanguard, and they instructed me to also withdraw an additional $301 in gains, which I put into the traditional IRA as well. (Due to having a retirement account through my job, I was not eligible to take a deduction for this traditional IRA recharacterization.)

I reported this recharacterization on my 2021 return by 4/15/2022. Because I took care of all of this by the filing deadline and reported it on my return, I thought I was all set. I did expect some kind of form from Vanguard showing an early withdrawal of the $301 gains with taxes and maybe a penalty. Instead, I recently got a 2022 1099-R from Vanguard that doesn't show the gains as a separate taxable amount but just part of the gross distribution. When I enter it in Turbotax, I get the message that I need to file an amended 2021 return, which I'd hoped to avoid by recharacterizing the contribution by the filing deadline.

What did I do wrong here and how do I fix it? I'm seeing now that there was an October 15, 2022 deadline by which I was supposed to file an amended 2021 return (again why, when I reported all of this on the original return?) and that I now have some additional amount I'm supposed to reduce any 2022 Roth IRA contribution by to "offset" the 2021 excess. That doesn't make sense to me, since I've already recharacterized the entire 2021 contribution as a traditional IRA contribution.

Fortunately, I didn't make any 2022 Roth IRA contribution yet, so at least I won't have to fix a potential excess for 2022 as well.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

What is the code in box 7 of the Form 1099-R and what amounts are in boxes 1 and 2a?  If should be $7,301 in box 1, $0 in box 2a and code R in box 7.

Because the recharacterization could have been done after you filed your 2021 tax return, TurboTax is simply reminding you that this recharacterization should be reflected on Form 8606 of your 2021 tax return as a $7,000 nondeductible traditional IRA contribution.  If that's already present, there is no need to amend. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

What is the code in box 7 of the Form 1099-R and what amounts are in boxes 1 and 2a?  If should be $7,301 in box 1, $0 in box 2a and code R in box 7.

Because the recharacterization could have been done after you filed your 2021 tax return, TurboTax is simply reminding you that this recharacterization should be reflected on Form 8606 of your 2021 tax return as a $7,000 nondeductible traditional IRA contribution.  If that's already present, there is no need to amend. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies