Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Roth IRA not showing up on 8880, not addition into forwarded amounts and not in summary area

Hello,  I am using the desktop Home & Business version of TT

I have used the step by step now 5 times and deleted the form and tried it again.  I am walked through the process for both my husband and myself to contribute $7500 each to our Roth IRA. 

The $7500 shows up Line 19 of the IRA Contribution Worksheet.  Then I go to the IRA Information Worksheet where it has Line 23 showing the cumulative totals of both our Roths coming in from 2022.  Then Line 51 which is the balance going forward into 2024 is the same numbers.  The $7500 for each of us is not showing up on Line 33 - Regular Roth Contributions.  

Because of that the $7500 each is not populating over to the 8880 so it is only showing my husband's W2 401K Contribution thus giving us only a $200 credit.  Line 1 of the 8880 has nothing there and I cannot override that area to put the numbers in.  When I type $7500 each onto Line 33 myself of the IRA Information Worksheet which is missing the numbers that should be there, it still does not populate over to the 8880. It will correctly add the number for the basis moving to 2024.  

I don't know what to do to fix this, I cannot override Line 1 of the 8880.

On the Total 2023 Deductions & Credits Page under the Retirement & Investments category - first line "Traditional and Roth IRA contributions" it shows $14000 last year and $0 for this year.  

So even with the $7500 for each of us is on Line 19 it is not moving to anywhere else.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Roth IRA not showing up on 8880, not addition into forwarded amounts and not in summary area

[Disregard this reply.  The fact that you are getting a Retirement Savings Contributions Credit for the 401(k) contribution implies that your MAGI is extremely unlikely to be high enough to limit your Roth IRA contributions.]

If your modified AGI for the purpose of a Roth IRA contribution is $228,000 or more (married filing jointly), you are both ineligible to contribute to a Roth IRA for 2023.

Total income before standard deduction is $58,366.  NOT even close.  

Roth limitation worksheet is not coming up as a form either

dmertz
Level 15

The Roth IRA Contribution Limit Worksheet is always generated if a Roth IRA contribution is entered, so lack of this worksheet implies that no Roth IRA contribution has been entered, which would contradict the fact that the Roth IRA contribution is present on line 19 of the IRA Contribution Worksheet.  The only way that I can see that you could have an amount on line 19 without the Roth IRA Contribution Limit Worksheet being present is if line 22 of the IRA Contribution Worksheet shows the same amount, telling TurboTax that the contribution was recharacterized to be a traditional IRA contribution instead.

Note that the Roth IRA Contribution Limit Worksheet ("Roth IRA") would be present at the bottom of the forms list in forms mode.

All these replies thus far seem to think I am an idiot.  Every year the Retirement Savings Credit takes both my husbands 401k and our IRA contributions (both of ours) whether traditional or Roth.  When it is a Roth there is the Roth limitation worksheet and yes it is at the bottom.  Also our income is well within the limitation.  That does not answer any of the questions I specifically asked and the fact that various lines were filled out and did not populate to other lines.

I decided to close TT and thank goodness I did not save it.  It was still saved from the day before and I opened my previous saved file up and everything was back as it is supposed to be which I don't understand what happened.  But all lines were filled out, the Roth limitation worksheet was there, the 8880 had the lines populated and the summary page showed the $15000 on the IRA line and the addition of the new contribution was added to the basis worksheet page. 

Here is my new question:

IRA Contribution Worksheet:

Regular Roth Contributions:

Line 19 has $7500 (both spouses)

Line 20, 21, 22 & 23 are BLANK

Line 24:  Roth IRA Contributions. Combine Lines 20 through 23

Now, since these lines are BLANK then how is $7500 here?  $7500 must be on this line because this line is labeled "Roth IRA Contributions" and it Populates Line 27

Line 27:  Total Roth IRA Contributions

This is the line that populates the Form 8880, adds the amounts to the Roth Basis on the IRA Info Worksheet.

I Believe Turbo Tax has Line 24 Mislabeled and it should say "Roth IRA Contributions. Combine Lines 19 through 23"

I believe the form has an error on it and it needs to be reported to be fixed

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies