Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Roth IRA Excess Contribution

I overcontributed to my Roth IRA in 2020. In 2021, I requested a return of excess from my Roth IRA custodian. Below are the details:


Overcontribution Amount: $600

Gross Amount Received Back: $782.36

Taxes Withheld (don't know if it's Federal or State): $18.23

Net Amount Received Back: $764.13


They said I will receive my 1099-R next year, but I believe I need to include the earnings in my 2020 taxes. How do I report this on TurboTax and should I be reporting the gross amount received or the net amount?

2 Replies
Level 15

Roth IRA Excess Contribution

Having tax withheld was a mistake since it cannot be applied to 2020 tax - only 2021 tax - but the earnings are taxable in 2020, so it does not make sense to have tax withholding on a 2020 excess.


*IF* you requested a return of contributions due to an excess contribution and the excess was removed before the extended due date of the 2020 tax return and the earnings were also returned and you know that the IRA custodian will report this as a return of contribution and not as a normal Roth distribution but as a return of contribution with a code "JP" in box 7 - then:

You can just report it now and ignore the 1099-R when it comes unless there is Box 4 Federal Tax withholding and/or box 14 State withholding. Then you must also enter the 2021 1099-R into the 2021 tax return since the withholding is reported in the year that the tax was withheld.

The 2021 code JP will not do anything in 2021 but the withholding will be applied to 2021.

You would enter the 1099-R with the total distribution in box 1 (the contribution plus the earnings),

The earnings in box 2a,

Enter code "P" in box 7 (Top) - don t worry that it will say "taxable in 2019 "

Enter code "J" in box 7 (Bottom).

On the "Which year" screen say that this is a 2021 1099-R. - That makes it taxable in 2020 and not 2019

After the 1099-R summary screen press continue.

If you are over 59 1/2 then on the "Lets see if we can lower your tax bill" enter the box 2a amount in the "Another Reason" box to eliminate the 10% early withdrawal penalty on the earnings.

Enter the explanation for the excess contribution and that you are reporting a 2021 1099-R on your 2019 tax return to avoid having to amend in 2021.

The box 2a earnings will be taxable income reported on line 4b on the 1040 form and if under age 59 1/2 will also be subject to a 10% penalty on a 5329 form that will be reported on line 59 on the 1040 Schedule 4 form.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Returning Member

Roth IRA Excess Contribution

Thanks. I'm still confused on how to handle this due to the taxes being withheld. Should I still report the earnings on my 2020 taxes? If so, what will I report on my 2021 taxes since I'd already have reported the earnings in the previous year?

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings