Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

parrex

Roth IRA excess contribution handled as pension/annuity distribution not roth ira distribution in TT

Hello,

I made and withdrew my roth ira excess contribution/earnings for 2023 prior to the deadline. I filled out 1099R form in TT and entered in box 1 contribution and 2a earnings and also did not check box between 7 and 8 because it was ROTH not Traditional IRA. Box 7 was code 8 (Excess contributions for 2023). Later in TT under "Retirement Income Results" it shows up as Pension and annuity distribution not Roth IRA distribution.  How do I tell TT it was from a ROTH IRA?

Thanks in advance

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Roth IRA excess contribution handled as pension/annuity distribution not roth ira distribution in TT

A return of contribution from a Roth IRA before the due date of the tax return, including extensions, is reported with code 8 and J together or codes P and J together, depending on the timing of the distribution relative to when the contribution was made.  If you made the contribution in 2023 and received the distribution in 2024, codes P and J together on a 2024 Form 1099-R is the way that the Roth IRA custodian will code the distribution.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

A return of contribution from a Roth IRA before the due date of the tax return, including extensions, is reported with code 8 and J together or codes P and J together, depending on the timing of the distribution relative to when the contribution was made.  If you made the contribution in 2023 and received the distribution in 2024, codes P and J together on a 2024 Form 1099-R is the way that the Roth IRA custodian will code the distribution.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies