Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Return of excess contributions keeps raising MAGI

In 2023 I overcontributed my Roth IRA by $1,190. To rectify this, I asked my provider to return the excess contribution along with $170 worth of gains.

Now from what I understand, earnings such as these need to be included in your taxable income for the year the excess contribution was made. If I add the $170 income to my 2023 return, my MAGI increases and my Roth contribution limit is further reduced - creating a situation where I'm still overcontributed.

How do I get to that magic number where I withdraw just enough to get under the contribution limit, but not too much to the point that my MAGI goes up and further reduces my allowable limit? It's like a vicious cycle that's giving me quite the headache!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

Return of excess contributions keeps raising MAGI

This is a common problem when your MAGI falls in the phase-out range and your excess contribution gained value.  It's easier to either go through the iterative cycle, do a binary search or use the Newton-Raphson method to determine the necessary amount (before making next request for return of contribution)  than to try to derive the formula (which involves an infinite series) to do it in once pass.

An alternative is to leave the remaining excess in, pay the 6% on that, then after October 15 but before the end of the year make a regular distribution of just the amount of the excess with no adjustment for investment gains.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies