Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hs_4513

Retirement Distributions and State Withholding

I'm a 24-year-old Californian and had a retirement plan with a previous employer which was "an IRS qualified 401(a)" My current employer which uses a whole different and separate retirement system will not accept the previous one as a direct rollover which means that I will likely have to just take the payment directly. I have two questions:

1. Do I choose a.) to withhold state income tax or b.) to NOT withhold state income tax unless mandated by law?

2. Would I need to fill out a 1099 R form if I'm having the retirement payment distributed directly to me?

Thanks! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Retirement Distributions and State Withholding

Noooooo. Please talk to an investment adviser. Your pre-tax dollars can be rolled into a Traditional IRA while your after tax dollars can be rolled into a ROTH IRA. You do not have to take the distribution and the penalty.

If you do:

1. withholding state tax is recommended as the state wants to be paid when you are and you could encounter extra penalties.

2. If you take the distribution, you will receive a 1099-R to report the additional income on your taxes plus the 10% penalty.

If you choose to rollover the funds, you will get a 1099-R with a tax-free rollover code instead.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies