Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Retired mid year 23' & began regular IRA withdrawals, can I still contribute to IRA?

I'm 65 & retired last June. I have a regular IRA, but did not make any contributions to it in 2023 (yet). My wife is long retired and has her own IRA. She did make a spousal contribution in 22' based on joint filing and my income.

I started taking regular distributions from my IRA in the second half of 2023. My question is, am I eligible to contribute to my IRA because I had work income in 23'? I would like to reduce my AGI as I am riding the line on incurring IRMAA surcharges. Can my wife make another spousal contribution as well as myself? Turbotax seems to say this is so, but I'm not so sure.

The year you retire seems to be the most complex life transition I could have ever imagined. Thank you in advance for your consult on this IRA/IRS question.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Retired mid year 23' & began regular IRA withdrawals, can I still contribute to IRA?

"am I eligible to contribute to my IRA because I had work income in 23'?"

Yes.

"Can my wife make another spousal contribution as well as myself?"

Yes, assuming that you again file jointly for 2023.

The total of the IRA contributions for you and your wife for 2023 is not permitted to exceed your 2023 compensation.  Assuming no income from self-employment, your compensation for 2023 is the amount in box 1 of your 2023 W-2 minus any amount in box 11.

Thank you so much for confirming this for me.

Tim

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies