Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reporting Payment for Independent Contactor (Housekeeper) Necessary? How?

Hi.  I have a housekeeper who is an independent contractor, and I paid her more than $600 for the year.  She is asking for a 1099-NEC.  Do I have to (can I) give her one?  Do I file the form?  Seems like I only need to issue a 1099-NEC if I was a business that hired an independent contractor.  Looking to file a 1099-NEC, I need an IRIS account?  Seems a bit crazy.  TIA!

Phil

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

No, you don’t have to give her a 1099-NEC. 

The IRS position is that, while a 1099 is only required to be issued by businesses, the IRS will not object if non-businesses issue a 1099-NEC since it helps with compliance.  There are a few web sites that will allow you to file a 1099 and 1096 for a few dollars each.

That said, the housekeeper shouldn't need one.  The housekeeper is required to report their business income and expenses from their own accurate records regardless of whether or not their customers give them tax paperwork.  If the housekeeper lost track of how much you paid them, maybe they would be satisfied with a spreadsheet or a letter from you confirming the amount you paid. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies