turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reporting Multiple IRAs traditional and inherited

How do I report in TurboTax 2 inherited IRAs that require RMDs that I took in 2023 and other traditional IRAs for which I am not yet required to take an RMD? Also in 2023, some funds from a retirement deferred compensation plan (e.g. 457) were rolled over to a new traditional IRA, from which a subset of these funds were converted to a Roth IRA. How do I correctly report all of this in TurboTax? The retirement section seems to assume only one account that either does or doesn't require an RMD.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

Since you were only required to take the RMD on the inherited IRAs and not the other distributions, mark the first option — I received all the RMD for 2023.  

For more information, please refer to the TurboTax articles Is an inherited IRA or retirement plan taxable? and  You can also review the TurboTax article What is an RMD?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

In particular is how to respond to the question "Tell us more about this retirement plan distribution...Include needed required withdrawals from any inherited retirement accounts in your answer below. Select one of the following:

o I received all the RMD for 2023

o I did not receive all the RMD for 2023

o I was not required to take an RMD for 2023"

The correct response is I took the RMD as required for the inherited IRAs but was not required to take an RMD for the others. However it is not possible to enter both responses.  When I selected the middle response, I did not receive all the RMD, TurboTax crashed.

SharonD007
Expert Alumni

Since you were only required to take the RMD on the inherited IRAs and not the other distributions, mark the first option — I received all the RMD for 2023.  

For more information, please refer to the TurboTax articles Is an inherited IRA or retirement plan taxable? and  You can also review the TurboTax article What is an RMD?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

There will be one or more Forms 1099-R from each account from which you made a distribution.  Each Form 1099-R must be entered separately and the questions specific to that Form 1099-R answered.  After entering all of the Forms 1099-R have been entered, click the Continue button on the page that lists the forms that you have entered and answer the questions that apply in general.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies