Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

erlee88
Returning Member

Reporting IRA Contribution on a Tax Return

I'm hoping if you can clarify how IRA contributions need to be disclosed on a tax return. 

If I make a Roth IRA contribution (ie $2000), do I need to report the contribution amount on Form 8606?   I've received different opinions.  Thereafter, do I need to continue to disclose the accumulated Roth IRA contributions that I contribute every year on Form 8606 to disclose to the IRS?  So in Yr 2, I make another $2K contribution so I need to disclose accum $4K on Form 8606. 

Do the rules apply similiar to other IRA contributions like Traditional, and nondeductible contributions as well? 

Thank you.      

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

@erlee88 this article should clear up any confusion

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/investments-and-taxes/what-is-irs-form-8606-nondeductible-iras/...

Roth IRA contributions do not trigger use of form 8606 (but Roth distributions do). 

Roth contribution does not go on your tax return unless your AGI

is low enough to qualify for the Credir for Qualified Retirement Savings Contributions.

@erlee88 

If you make unallowable contributions to a Roth IRA, you need to report that and pay penalties.  This is why Turbotax asks about any Roth contributions, to make sure you are eligible.  But there is no general rule that you need to report Roth contributions and there is no place on the form to report them.  (Form 8606 is used to report after-tax contributions to a traditional (pre-tax) IRA.   Even though Roth contributions are also after-tax, a Roth IRA is a different kind of account and contributions are not reported on the tax return unless they are excess and subject to a penalty.)

erlee88
Returning Member

Thank all for the advice.  In the future, how will the IRS know how much will be taxable and nontaxable on your future distributions based on how much you contributed over your lifetime into a Roth, Traditional IRA, and/or Nontraditional IRA to tax you?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies