Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Recieved a 1099-R for 2023. Originally, I had contributed to a traditional IRA by mistake, and did an immediate conversion to a Roth IRA immediately. How to not be double-taxed?

For 2023, I just received a 1099-R for it because during the year, I accidentally contributed $5000 to an IRA, then converted it right away to a Roth IRA. My tax went up after entering the 1099-R into T-tax for the $5000, even though it's techically after-tax dollars since I not claming a deduction for the traditional IRA that $5000 was in. 

Can someone suggest if/how my next cousre of action would be to avoid paying taxes on that 1099-R? I've read something about filling out form 8606, but it's a little confusing and Turbotax isn't leading me in a clear direction here. 

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Recieved a 1099-R for 2023. Originally, I had contributed to a traditional IRA by mistake, and did an immediate conversion to a Roth IRA immediately. How to not be double-taxed?

Did you hit the CONTINUE button after entering the 1099-R?

Hi, yes I went all the way through the flow where it seems like it's ready to file it--except I didn't seem to get any pages or questions that asked or implied about whether my IRA contribution (before it was soon converted) was non-deductible or deductible, so I still have the extra tax added on to my total after adding the 1099-R. 🤔

To start over, delete the 1099-R

Tell TurboTax you made a contribution of $5,000 to a Traditional IRA, and you elect to make it non-deductible.

Then enter the 1099-R again.

That will put the $5,000 on Line 4a  to make the IRS happy.

Line 4b should be zero.

If it doesn't work, contact TurboTax Support for assistance.

@lammerpants 

Yea thanks, I tried that but it didn't work. 

I entered the $5k IRA into Turbotax…my tax owed went up slightly right away for some reason.

I then entered all the info for the IRA, then it told me “Income Too High To Deduct an IRA Contribution”, so forced me into making it non-deductible,  and showed me I’m over the limit of $136k AGI, even though I’m married filing jointly, where that limit is much higher.

I then tried entering my 1099-R that shows my conversion, and it just added more tax even though I’m sure I entered all the questions right.

It's getting hairy, I will try to speak to someone at turbotax. 

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

You essentially did a back door Roth IRA conversion.  Here is a TurboTax help article that will take you through this situation step-by-step.  

How do I enter a backdoor Roth IRA conversion?

@lammerpants 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies