turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received a lump sum payment from social security in 2017 for 2016. It is included in net benefits for 2017. What should I enter for taxable amount in 2016?

The total payment I received from SS is shown in box 5. I have entered that amount. Now, Turbotax wants to know the adjusted gross income, tax exempt interest and Taxable SS benefits from 2016. If I now include the taxable amount received in 2017 for 2016 on that line, I will end up paying on that amount twice, it appears. Should I enter 0 on for taxable SS benefits from 2016 then?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Received a lump sum payment from social security in 2017 for 2016. It is included in net benefits for 2017. What should I enter for taxable amount in 2016?

You enter the taxable amount of Social Security benefits that was shown on your 2016 tax return, on Form 1040 line 20b or Form 1040A line 14b. If that line on your 2016 tax return is blank or zero, then you enter zero. That will be the case if you did not receive any Social Security benefits in 2016.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You enter the taxable amount of Social Security benefits that was shown on your 2016 tax return, on Form 1040 line 20b or Form 1040A line 14b. If that line on your 2016 tax return is blank or zero, then you enter zero. That will be the case if you did not receive any Social Security benefits in 2016.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies