Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

srvntrjv

I got a 1099-G from RITA (in addition to one from the state of Ohio). Where do I enter this in turbotax? The 1099-G options don't seem to apply.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

I got a 1099-G from RITA (in addition to one from the state of Ohio). Where do I enter this in turbotax? The 1099-G options don't seem to apply.

If you did not itemize deductions on your 2017 federal tax return, you do not need to enter the 1099-G at all. State and local (RITA)  income tax refunds are only taxable if you took a deduction for taxes paid, the previous year.

That said, 

In TurboTax (TT), enter at:
- Federal Taxes tab (Personal in  Home & Business)

- Wages & Income

-        “I’ll choose what I work on” Button

Scroll down to:

- Wages and Salaries

- 1099-Misc and Other Common Income

-State & Local tax refunds on a 1099-G. Click the UPDATE button.

On the next screen click "Add another state or local tax refund"

On the next screen click YES

On the next screen, on the state or locality scroll down list (scroll way down) select RITA city tax, OH

The rest of the mumbo jumbo is to determine how much of that refund is taxable. For most people it's ALL (if they itemized) or NONE (if they didn't itemize)

I received four 2019 1099-Gs for amended state tax refunds, one each for tax year 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017.  For some reason, I should have received a 5th 2019 1099-G, the one for a tax-year 2018 refund, but I DID receive the refund check.

I did not itemize my federal return or my state return in tax-year 2018, 2017, 2015, and 2014.  I itemized only in tax year 2016.

In Turbo Tax, I entered the tax year 2018 refund,  although I did not receive a 1099-G for it.  I indicated that I did not itemize in 2018.  That's the only time I was asked if I itemized.

I entered the 1099-G for 2016, the year in which I itemized, and the refund amount was counted as taxable income.   If I enter the 2019 1099-Gs for 2014, 2015, and 2017 -- years in which I did NOT itemize -- I am not asked whether I itemized in those years, and consequently the tax refund is counted as taxable income. 

The only way in which I can figure out how NOT to have those tax-year non-itemization refunds counted as taxable income is to NOT enter them at all. 

Am I doing this correctly?

Isn't the IRS going to know that these non-reported 1099-G refunds were received?? 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, just don't enter the 1099-Gs that you know not to be taxable.  The TT worksheets are not sent to the IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies