Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ashez816

Received 11K from closing mutual fund in Jan 17, of which 9K was my own money. TTax asks to confirm 2017 net contributions. How do I file and just get taxed for the 2K?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Received 11K from closing mutual fund in Jan 17, of which 9K was my own money. TTax asks to confirm 2017 net contributions. How do I file and just get taxed for the 2K?

If this is not a retirement account (Form 1099R), then you can enter your Form 1099B by using the steps below.  You will need your purchase price (9k), purchase date (can use "various"), selling price and sales date.

If you use "various" as the purchase date you need to know whether this mutual fund was owned more than one year (long term) or one year or less (short term).

Click the images attached to enlarge and view for assistance.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4789365

If you have another question please add a comment.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

If this is not a retirement account (Form 1099R), then you can enter your Form 1099B by using the steps below.  You will need your purchase price (9k), purchase date (can use "various"), selling price and sales date.

If you use "various" as the purchase date you need to know whether this mutual fund was owned more than one year (long term) or one year or less (short term).

Click the images attached to enlarge and view for assistance.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4789365

If you have another question please add a comment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies