Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

psushu
Returning Member

Received 1099R for a deferred comp distribution. It is my only earned income. I used the distribution to contribute to a Roth IRA. How do I enter this in Turbo Tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Received 1099R for a deferred comp distribution. It is my only earned income. I used the distribution to contribute to a Roth IRA. How do I enter this in Turbo Tax?

You need to follow these steps to enter your form 1099-R:

1. Locate the "Income and Expenses" menu option in the federal section of TurboTax

2. Scroll down to "Retirement Plans and Social Security" and click on the "Show More" option

3. Click on the "Start" box next to "IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals(1099-R)"

4. Follow the instructions to enter your form 1099-R

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

Deferred compensation is not earned income that is eligible to support an IRA contribution.  Unless you have other compensation from which to make the IRA contribution or you obtain a return of the excess contribution before the due date of your tax return, you will owe a 6% excess-contribution penalty each year that the excess remains in your IRA.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies