Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The-JOE

Why am I being asked to "Enter Prior Year Roth IRA Contributions" ? I have not taken any distributions and I have been contributing to my roth for 20+ years.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

Why am I being asked to "Enter Prior Year Roth IRA Contributions" ? I have not taken any distributions and I have been contributing to my roth for 20+ years.

TurboTax "saves" the information on your prior year Roth IRA contributions to determine if earnings should be taxed on any current or future distributions.  For example, if you just started contributing to your Roth IRA last year, and you withdrew those funds early, you could be subject to penalties and/or tax on earnings.  

Here is some more information on distributions from Roths:  

You can always withdraw contributions (but not earnings) that you made to your Roth IRA tax and penalty free at anytime

Additionally, the Ordering rules for withdrawals from a Roth IRA are: first from regular contributions, then from Conversion and rollover contributions, on a first-in, first-out basis and finally from Earnings on contributions.

Please note: A qualified distribution from a Roth IRA is tax-free and penalty-free, provided that the five-year aging requirement has been satisfied and one of the following conditions is met:

• Over age 59½
  • Death or disability
  • Qualified first-time home purchase
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies