Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I report additional/misc income for a small check received?

I received a small check last year (2023) under $20 from a closed checking account (an account from many years ago) . The check was for a reimbursement of fees taken out incorrectly. How do I report that on my tax return (additional income)?

Thank You.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

If the fees were billed on a personal checking account, they were never deductible and you don't have to report this reimbursement.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello,

Yes, they were monthly service fees taken from my personal checking account that were later reimbursed via check from my bank.

I just realized I posted this in the retirement forum-this check has nothing to do with any retirement funds or reimbursement-does this change me having to report it as income?

Thank You.

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

If you didn't receive a Form 1099-MISC or other information return to report the amount you received, and this was strictly a reimbursement of a checking account fee and not punitive damages, then you don't have to report the amount at all. The exception would be if this were a business checking account and you had previously deducted the amount reimbursed as a business expense.

Most lawsuit settlements are reported on a Form 1099-MISC unless they represent back wages. 

See this help article for more information about reporting legal settlements in TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies