turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When entering my military retirement income 1099-R it asked if I received the benefit before minimum retirement age. Does that matter for a military retiree?

Is receiving military pension at age 45 considered retiring before minimum retirement age.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

When entering my military retirement income 1099-R it asked if I received the benefit before minimum retirement age. Does that matter for a military retiree?

As far as "minimum" or "normal" retirement age you'll have to ask the military what that is. Generally, it's the earliest age at which you could have received a pension without being disabled. I believe it's only asked on 1099-Rs coded as due to disability, but I may be wrong.

That question has multiple purposes: First, I believe military disability pensions are exempt from income tax (though I'm not 100% sure). Even if they're not, if you are under that age TurboTax is required to report the pension as wages, which denies any "basis exclusion" (a pro-rata portion of each check representing your after-tax contributions to the plan if any, which is not taxable) but also makes the pension "earned income" for EITC purposes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies