Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo tax is making an error, allowing $7K Traditional IRA contribution for spouse even though AGI > $123K. and I have retirement plan at work. How do I report an error?

Turbo tax correctly determines that I can't make any contribution. IRS publications seem to state that the spouse is also considered covered by a retirement plan at work if one of the spouses is.  https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/ira-deduction-limits "Retirement plan at work: Your deduction may be limited if you (or your spouse, if you are married) are covered by a retirement plan at work and your income exceeds certain levels."
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Turbo tax is making an error, allowing $7K Traditional IRA contribution for spouse even though AGI > $123K. and I have retirement plan at work. How do I report an error?

Whether you are covered by a retirement plan at work is determined for each spouse.

Your spouse is considered as not covered. Only you are. She is considered as non covered filing jointly with a covered spouse. And she can contribute to a deductible IRA up to the limit at MAGI below $193,000.

Please see this IRS document for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If your spouse has no income, you may contribute for her out of your income. That's a spousal IRA contribution

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies