Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The amount of my sep IRA contributions on $75891 income form my business was $28302. this seems rather high is this correct

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

The amount of my sep IRA contributions on $75891 income form my business was $28302. this seems rather high is this correct

That does seem high, it should be up to 25% of your net earnings. 

Did you also pay yourself a salary? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No I am a sole proprietor. that was the profit after expenses 75891 and when I put that in it liked out 28302 which is deftly over 25% 

dmertz
Level 15

You've entered your net profit of $75,891 twice.  Remove one of those entries.  If you received a Form 1099-MISC showing this income, box 7 of that one 1099-MISC form in TurboTax is the only place you should have entered the $75,891.

The maximum permissible is 20% of net earnings, not 25%.  Net earnings is net profit minus the deductible portion of self-employment taxes.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies