Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taxable amount of IRA Distribution

I received a 1099-R showing a Gross Distribution of $17,000, with the Taxable Amount not determined box checked.  $3,000 was a loan I repaid, so $14,000 is taxable, which I entered in Box 2a Taxable Amount in TurboTax, but it keeps picking up the full $17,000 in its calculations.  Any suggestions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

OK, so this is an IRA and the money that you received was not a loan but was instead a distribution (or multiple distributions) of which you rolled $3,000 of one distribution back into the IRA.   (Actual loans are only permitted from qualified retirement plans like a 401(k), not from IRAs.)

A code 7 Form 1099-R for a distribution from a traditional IRA is required to show the same amount in box 2a as is in box 1 and is required to have box 2a Taxable amount not determined marked.  After entering the Form 1099-R exactly as provided by the payer, indicate in the follow-up that you moved the money to another retirement account (or returned it to the same account), indicate that you did a combination of rolling over, converting or cashing out the money, then indicate $3,000 as the amount rolled over.  TurboTax will include the full $17,000 on Form 1040 line 4a but will exclude $3,000 from the taxable amount on line 4b.  TurboTax will also include the "ROLLOVER" notation next to line 4b.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

Remove the check mark from the box, Taxable Amount Not Determined.  When you check this box the program takes the amount in Box 1 as the taxable amount.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

The account from which this distribution was made is apparently not an IRA.  It's probably a 401(k).

You must enter the Form 1099-R exactly as provided by the payer; box 2b Taxable amount not determined must remain marked.

What is the code in box 7 of this Form 1099-R?

What amount, if any, is shown in box 5 of this Form 1099-R?

Regarding the loan repayment, did this repayment occur before or after the $17,000 distribution being reported on this Form 1099-R?

Did you receive a different Form 1099-R with code L in box 7 due to defaulting on the loan, perhaps in a previous year?  If so, what was the amount in box 1 of that Form 1099-R?

Tried that, but it's still using the gross amount.

I don't have a 401(k), but it could have been a 403(b).  Box 7 has 7 in it and the box next to it for IRA/SEP/SIMPLE is checked.

Box 5 shows $0.00.

I took the loan out in April and paid it back in May; the requirement was that it had to be repaid within 2 months.

I talked to the agent, because I didn't think the $3000 should even show, but he told me that's how they had to account for it.  The repayment is included on a Form 5498 in Box 2 Rollover Contributions.

dmertz
Level 15

OK, so this is an IRA and the money that you received was not a loan but was instead a distribution (or multiple distributions) of which you rolled $3,000 of one distribution back into the IRA.   (Actual loans are only permitted from qualified retirement plans like a 401(k), not from IRAs.)

A code 7 Form 1099-R for a distribution from a traditional IRA is required to show the same amount in box 2a as is in box 1 and is required to have box 2a Taxable amount not determined marked.  After entering the Form 1099-R exactly as provided by the payer, indicate in the follow-up that you moved the money to another retirement account (or returned it to the same account), indicate that you did a combination of rolling over, converting or cashing out the money, then indicate $3,000 as the amount rolled over.  TurboTax will include the full $17,000 on Form 1040 line 4a but will exclude $3,000 from the taxable amount on line 4b.  TurboTax will also include the "ROLLOVER" notation next to line 4b.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies