turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gail0366
Returning Member

Should I contribute to an IRA tjos uear

I am retired, collecting a small pension and working part time.  My husband is 71, retired and collecting social security.  Due to the RMD of his IRA and my earnings in 2019, we are in a high tax bracket for 2019.  I will stop working in Sept. 2020 and do not plan on working in 2021.  I understand that we do not have to take the RMD from my husband's IRA this year.  So we should be in a lower tax bracket in future tax years.  Does it make sense for me to contribute to an IRA this year (2019) to reduce our tax bill this year?  Are there any drawbacks?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

What is your age? "For 2019, if you’re 70 ½ or older, you can't make a regular contribution to a traditional IRA." See this IRS webpage.

Otherwise, there is no guaranteed upside or downside. You would get a tax deduction this year, but you would have to pay it back when you take the money out. Worse, if you invest in it the stock market and if the market declines before you take it back out, then you will have lost that principal.

We don't give out financial advice here (just tax help), but I would suggest you consider whether you might be better off having some readily available cash around in an after-tax account for emergencies.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you are eligible for a deduction and skipping the 2020 RMD, it could make sense.

OR

consider a regular taxable investment account, or a Roth IRA.

gail0366
Returning Member

Thank you for the quick response.  I am 65, so I am eligible to contribute this year.  I do understand the risks and would look for a conservative investment.  I will not need the cash for emergencies at this point.  Thanks again.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies