Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

NM1
Level 4

Reporting Canadian RRSP Withdrawl on US Taxes

The reporting requirements for RRSPs were changed greatly for the better about ten years ago, but I'm not sure where you got the idea that the FBAR no longer applied. (Note: technically the new online Treasury form is a "FinCen Form 114", but it is still referred to as an FBAR, even on the form itself.) The 8938 replaced the former 8891 but was not well advertised. I got caught on that one myself not long after and had to send in a couple of years' amendments (which, for me, did not change any numbers, it was just a missing form). If you use TT it prompts you for foreign account information and will generate the 8938 if it's required. The FBAR, of course, is done separately because it's not an IRS form; it is now only online.

There are ways to get yourself back on track, such as FBAR amnesty forms. For a thorough review of the background, as well as information on moving forward, I suggest you start with this article by a tax lawyer who specializes in cross-border issues (https://hodgen.com/rrsps-and-the-irs/ , updated in 2023), and possibly also consult a tax/accounting expert familiar with this area for verification. I would have suggested you contact the IRS, but a) it's a terrible time of year to do that; and b) it will be nearly impossible to get hold of anyone who has the first clue about handling RRSP reporting. Those amended filings I mentioned above ended up in different IRS offices. One handled it correctly - i.e. simply acknowledge receipt of the additional form - but the other was so confused I had to use the letter from the first one and explain the situation to get the second one unstuck. (Once upon a time I had a really excellent phone conversation with the IRS attorney who worked on improving the RRSP rules, but sadly, I see he died several years ago.)

This is not a fatal situation, but you really should not ignore it.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends. Here are the instructions for filling out Form 8938. For the foreign pension, it is reported as an "other foreign asset" in Parts II and VI of Form 8938. For part 2: 

• Line 10 Report the number of accounts and assets reported in all Parts VI
  • Line 11 Report the total maximum value of these accounts and assets.
  • Line 12 Indicate whether any account was opened or closed or any asset was acquired or disposed of during the tax year.

For Part V1, please go to page 14 in the instructions to refer to how to report this pension as this is very detailed.

@jptbt8  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
daleg

I have reported foreign tax credits for a 1099-DIV and cannot add another foreign tax credit for my RRSP. I don't see the screen with "Tell Us About Your Foreign Taxes". How do I get that screen to come back?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Go back to and visit your foreign tax  credit.

1. Go to Federal
  2. Deductions and credits 
  3. Estimate and other taxes paid 
  4. Foreign Tax Credit>start or revisit
  5. Scroll through the program until you get to a screen that says Foreign Tax credit Summary. See screenshot 1.
  6. Here you will select add a foreign tax.
  7. Next screen will ask you to pick an income type. Pick passive income.
  8. Next screen will ask if you wish to pick another income type, say you will want to keep it on the same copy as the dividend copy.
  9. Next question will ask you to pick a country under Country Summary.  See screenshot 2. Here you will select add a country and choose Canada if it is different from the country your dividends were issued from.
  10. Finish out the section regarding reporting the Gross amount of income from the pension and then the foreign taxes that you paid to Canada from the pension.  
  11. Finish out the section.

Here are the two screens that you need to be especially mindful of when you are completing this section that i mentioned above.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies