Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Pension deduction worksheet/early w/draw due to Covid-19. Retirement distribution. Federal Amount. When will this be fixed?

It wasn't really advice.  It was me saying I wasn't sure.  Sorry, shouldn't have said anything at all! I didn't think we were tax experts here.. I guess I thought thats what the purpose of these conversations were... I'm just going to wait until its fixed. I owe federal but am getting back from state so its very irritating. 

Pension deduction worksheet/early w/draw due to Covid-19. Retirement distribution. Federal Amount. When will this be fixed?

My apologies, honestly. I’m also just so frustrated with this while state tax issue. In your case, I probably wouldn’t file my federal taxes either if I owed haha. BUT, your state tax information pulls a lot from your federal, regardless if you’ve filed federal or not. 

Thank you!!! That worked!!!

I filed my federal doing this today.  I am getting a lot back from Federal at least, so this helped me.  Thank you.

Is there any issue efiling State after I've efiled for Federal? Will it still pull in all my Federal info?

It sends your return into orbit, and Elon Musk's space station blasts it.  It literally gives you the option to FILE LATER.

Absolutely not, hence why you have the option to file your state return later. 

This is ridiculous! Turbo tax is awful this year I hope they offer a discount for next year or I'm gone too, after over 20 + years.   Also why does it say "solved"  in my top left corner of the screen...this is not solved.

Just saw this on another complaint 

Why am I getting a “Check this Entry” message blocking me from filing my State return?

If you withdrew from retirement because of COVID-19 and have Form 8915-E on your federal return, you may have gotten a “Check this Entry” message stopping you from filing your state return.

We’re working hard to incorporate this new form into all the states in TurboTax. To ensure that your return is accurate, check back after March 19 to file your return. We should have it ready by then!

"It sends your return into orbit, and Elon Musk's space station blasts it.  It literally gives you the option to FILE LATER."

It also says "TurboTax has you covered during Covid." So far they're struggling.

I'm having the same issue with my NYS return.  I did e-file my federal.  I guess we all just have to wait for TT.

One other interesting thing on the topic of COVID CARES Act distributions that someone out there might find helpful.

I had three IRA 1099-Rs to report.  

1. a non taxable direct rollover.

2. an MRD from an inherited IRA (I chose to make that a non COVID related withdrawal because it wasn't)

3. a hardship withdrawal.

I entered each one and on the last one, coded it as a COVID hardship withdrawal (spreading the gross over three years).  I also had a partial repayment of that which zero'd out the taxes due on #3 for THIS year. 

Bottom line, my expectation was to pay taxes on #2 only. 

Said another way, #2 would be the taxable number that appeared on 4b.

Turbotax was miscalculating and put a NEGATIVE number in line 4b.   

I deleted the 1099-Rs and reentered then.  I started my entire return over from scratch. 

Neither changed that number in 4b.

Finally, I changed the ORDER that I entered the 1099-Rs. 

This time, I did #1, #3 and finally #2 and voila, the numbers came out correctly.  That has to be a bug since it should not matter in what order the 1099-Rs are entered.

I am having the same issue. TurboTax's notification protocol is flawed here. They need to announce a fix date to everyone affected, proactively, then stick to it.

Any updates on this? I've never had to wait this long to file my taxes!

@dparker41105 wrote:

Any updates on this? I've never had to wait this long to file my taxes!

Is this the issue that folks are having in this thread;  i.e., withdrew from retirement because of COVID-19 and have Form 8915-E on your federal return?  If so, I think they are still working on "some" states to get the info from Form 8915-E into the state return, at least according to the FAQ below, but hope to have it ready for all states after March 19.

FAQ:   Why am I getting a “Check this Entry” message blocking me from filing my State return?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-tax-forms/help/why-am-i-getting-a-check-this-entry-message-b...

I just logged in to TT.  No NYS update yet.

I read in another user thread that TT had told them it could be as late as 3/24 before it's released.

There's a process by which the dept of taxation has to approve TT's software (ie allegedly ensuring the data is processed correctly).  That was the case with the federal IRS and the 8915-E and it's true with the NYS portion.  As we know, the federal part completed in February but while TT may have completed their state mods, it could be that NYS has not completed the approval process yet.  COVID delays are wreaking havoc everywhere.

PS - I'm still waiting for the federal IRS to process my 2019 return!  I had to mail one form back in August and the IRS said they have millions of pieces of unopened mail just sitting there.  

That is 100000% why I want to e-file haha. I don’t trust the postal system to get my mail anywhere on time because they’re so slammed either.  What I honestly kind of think is going on, is that they’re waiting for this relief bill to be passed. The other thing that sucks, is for all of us that have been able to file, and were unfortunately on unemployment last year, are going to have to file amended returns because of what’s in the new relief bill 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies