Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mrussel4

MY NYS & Local Employees Retirement is exempt in NYS but it is showing as income on my state tax, how do I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

MY NYS & Local Employees Retirement is exempt in NYS but it is showing as income on my state tax, how do I fix this?

When you enter that you are a New York state resident, after you enter your 1099-R for the NYS & Local Employees Retirement, there will be a series of screens. One screen will ask you to Select Your State.

When you select New York, the next screen will ask "Where is this distribution from?"

This will give you the opportunity to select New York State and Local Retirement System. Check this, fill in the boxes at the bottom as necessary, and this should remove this pension from NYS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

i have the same issue and have followed all the steps.  the amount of my retirement does not show up on page 2 of IT-201 line 26.

Something is wrong with your program 

I had the exact same issue filing my parent's tax return. I found the following message on a different thread.

Good Luck

New York customers are currently experiencing an issue in TurboTax causing their New York pension exclusion to be incorrectly calculated.

We expect this issue to be resolved by 02/19/21. If you’d like to receive progress status updates, please sign up here.

@mrussel4 @BillM223 @cmg12345 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies