Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

craigse

Is it a traditional IRA if it was put in before taxes out of my check

Is it a traditional IRA if it was deduced  before taxes where taken out of my check
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
RayW7
Expert Alumni

Yes, traditional IRA's are generally funded with pre tax income. 

Two of the most popular Individual Retirement Account plans are the Traditional IRA and the Roth IRA. The main difference between the two is when you get taxed.

• In a Traditional IRA, you generally don't pay taxes on your contributions and earned interest until you make withdrawals. In other words, you are getting a tax deduction now and will pay the taxes later when this investment is withdrawn, according to the distribution age requirements.
  • In a Roth IRA, you don't get to deduct your contributions. However, because Roth IRAs are funded with after-tax dollars (money that's already been taxed), you will pay taxes on your contributions but will not pay taxes when you withdraw them in the future, if you meet the age distribution requirements.

To sum it up, you can either pay the tax now with a Roth IRA, or pay the tax in the future with a Traditional IRA.

lindleykatelyn8
Returning Member

Dose tpg hold tax refunds 

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Who is "tpg"?

lindleykatelyn8
Returning Member

Taxs product group 

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

No, the Santa Barbara Tax Products Group will not "hold your refund" - they only deduct your TurboTax fees. 

They are the company that processes the refund whenever you choose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your federal.

The refund is sent to them, the fees are deducted, and then the remainder is sent to your bank.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies