Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Inherited spousal retirement

Hello.

When my husband passed away, I started receiving his teacher retirement benefit.  The pension is public and qualified.  Should I be removing a RMD?  If yes, how do I calculate this amount?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Annuities held in individual retirement accounts (IRAs) or other qualified retirement plans are subject to Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs). This means that you must take a minimum amount of money out of your annuity each year, starting the year you reach age 72 (70 1/2 if you were born before July 1, 1949).

However, since you are receiving periodic payments from this retirement plan you are most likely meeting the Required Minimum Distribution rules, (i.e. it is built into your  pension payout).

Pension (defined benefit) distributions automatically factor in RMD's.

TurboTax is just making sure that you're taking the Required Minimum Distribution for people over 70 1/2 (if you were born before July 01, 1949) or 72 if you were born after. You can safely answer this question as yes.

This can be an oversight for people withdrawing from defined contribution plans such as IRA and 401ks, but it's built in to your pension payout.

You can verify this by asking your plan administrator. It is something they should be calculating.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

With regard to this question, the entire amount is RMD.  TurboTax is only asking to determine how much is eligible for rollover, and none of it is eligible for rollover.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies